Friendship Mountain
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aquaman #2 or Superheroes should kill.

+2
Dan (admin)
Palooka.Kolbe
6 posters

Go down

Aquaman #2 or Superheroes should kill. Empty Aquaman #2 or Superheroes should kill.

Post  Palooka.Kolbe Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:41 am

Just before the old forums went down, I made a short post recommending Aquaman #1. That recommendation certainly remains standing and is strengthened by my reading of Aquaman #2. They are probably my favorite of DC's "New 52" and give people a reason to like Aquaman other than for the sake of irony.

In issue #2 readers see a few cool things about Aquaman and his wife, Mera. One, people in the DCU may not take Aquaman seriously, he may be nobody's favorite hero, but he gets the job done. People can count on him and are willing to go to him for help even when others deride them for seeking him out. Two, I like the way Mera, a full Atlantean (Aquaman is only half) respects her husband as her rightful king and seems about ready to force some land-dwellers to their knees when they do not show Arthur the respect she believes he deserves. Three, and I mentioned it in the post title, Aquaman and Mera are not shy about dealing death when faced with deadly threats. I don't know if it was Jim Lee or the book's creative team who gave Aquaman a trident in this redesign, but it just felt right to see him use the thing to impale a monster. Maybe its because I just re-read the first three Authority trades, but it could be time for more of the mainstream DC heroes to use deadly force.

Please give the New 52 a try. I'd love to hear others' opinions about Aquaman or any of the other titles, especially the Superman books.
Palooka.Kolbe
Palooka.Kolbe
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Back to top Go down

Aquaman #2 or Superheroes should kill. Empty Re: Aquaman #2 or Superheroes should kill.

Post  Dan (admin) Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:47 am

I may have illegally downloaded a few #1's of The New 52, but haven't read them yet. I've heard good things about Batman and Wonderwoman. I'll admit to my out of hand dismissal of Aquaman. I never even would have considered that his comic is any good. I'll give it a try someday.
Dan (admin)
Dan (admin)
Admin

http://www.friendshipmountain.com

Back to top Go down

Aquaman #2 or Superheroes should kill. Empty Re: Aquaman #2 or Superheroes should kill.

Post  FurbyFrank Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:40 am

Swamp thing has been pretty good too
FurbyFrank
FurbyFrank
Family
Family

Back to top Go down

Post  Palooka.Kolbe Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:38 am

I just read Swamp Thing #3 today and I am not going to go back to it unless I hear something really interesting about it. It did seem cool, but I guess I'm just a wuss. Really, ever since I had kids I have a very hard time with violence toward kids or child endangerment.

Dan, I don't know if Action Comics is part of the books you (might have) downloaded, but you gotta check it out. Batman has been the only one of the Bat-books that I am really enjoying. I had hoped for more from Gail Simone writing Batgirl and Nightwing has been ok, but Detective, Dark Knight, and Batman and Robin are one issue from me checking out. While I am not particularly enjoying Teen Titans right now, I have a little hope because Kid Flash is not Wally West, he's Bart Allen and I do love Impulse.
Palooka.Kolbe
Palooka.Kolbe
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Back to top Go down

Post  FurbyFrank Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Suicide #1 was really promising, #2 was eh, filled with alot of awkward dialog between characters, will stick around for #3 tho
FurbyFrank
FurbyFrank
Family
Family

Back to top Go down

Post  Solryn Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:44 pm

So far the comics of the new 52 that I have kept up with are Auquaman, Animal Man, All Star Western, Action Comics and Superboy. None of which held any interest to me prior to the "reboot". As a side note I've enjoyed Ultimate Spiderman a lot. Once you get over the shock of a multi-ethnic teenager under the mask the writing is pretty good.
Solryn
Solryn
BFF
BFF

Back to top Go down

Post  reburn Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Palooka.Kolbe wrote:Really, ever since I had kids I have a very hard time with violence toward kids or child endangerment.
I must agree with you on this. I know it's cliche, but having kids really changes they way you view media. Even stuff like Jersey Girl. Hated it the first time, had two kids, rewatched it, cried like a baby.
reburn
reburn
Friend
Friend

Back to top Go down

Post  Mel Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:18 am

hahaha, cry baby!

(I cry at the end of almost episode of Doctor Who)
Mel
Mel
Family
Family

http://adventuresinsolitude.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum